Changing permissions

adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Sat Jul 21 15:16:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 17:29 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 21/07/07, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> > Using Feisty
> >
> > I copied some files to a USB stick to work om my laptop; made some changes and
> > copied them back to my main box.
> > Problem is is that all the files now have the 'execute' bit set.
> > I have tried using Konqueror file manager to change the permissions (right click >
> > properties > permissions) but I can't find anyway to get rid of the 'execute' bit.
> > I would do it manually to each file but there are loads of them :-(
> >
> > How do I change the permissions to get rid of the 'execute' bit?

chmod  -x   *

Since you said they are all files, this will work.  You do not
want to do the above command if you have directories too.  You
must have the execute permission "on" for direcories or you will
not be able to 'cd' into them.

FYI

Chuck Adams, K7QO   k7qo at commspeed.net
http://www.k7qo.net/   personal web page

Moving to Arizona?  Bring your own water.