Changing permissions

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:29:31 UTC 2007

On 21/07/07, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
> Using Feisty
>
> I copied some files to a USB stick to work om my laptop; made some changes and
> copied them back to my main box.
> Problem is is that all the files now have the 'execute' bit set.
> I have tried using Konqueror file manager to change the permissions (right click >
> properties > permissions) but I can't find anyway to get rid of the 'execute' bit.
> I would do it manually to each file but there are loads of them :-(
>
> How do I change the permissions to get rid of the 'execute' bit?
>
> And is it possible/wise to format a USB stick to ext2?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

chmod * -x or something like that?

You don't want to format that thing ext2/3. It won't be useable in
WindBlows anymore, and thus the portability of the device is rather
compromised. I suppose that you could tar files that you must keep
permissions for.

Note that I think that it is unusual that the execute bit would be set
on files from an insecure device such as a USB stick. I haven't
checked what this machine, does, though. Can someone verify their
machine's behaviour?

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/