Speeding up KDE -- More Help Needed

Greg Booth bootgr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:43:34 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07, Ron Morse <rbmorse at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 15:16 -0500, Greg Booth wrote:
>
> > Wow, is there that big of a difference between slackware and Ubuntu ?
> >
> > I've always thought about trying it, what are some of the main
> > differences between Slack and Ubuntu ? How long does it take to get to
> > a stable setup ?
> >
> > Greg
>
> Maybe the rest of your life. I say this with respect and admiration for
> Slackware devs and users, but the last time I tried Slac two things
> really struck hard:
>
> 1.  Setting up Slack is HARD work.
>
> 2.  There is a big difference between getting it installed with the
> functions/hardware/software you need working, and getting it installed
> with the functions/hardware/software you need working correctly and
> efficiently.
>
> In many ways, SLackware is the anti-K/Ubuntu. I don't say this as a
> criticism...Slack's devs are very upfront about what they are trying to
> accomplish...but no one would ever accuse Slac of doing too much
> handholding for the new and or ignorant. It's geekware, in the best
> sense of the word.
>
> RBM

Well, I'm a geeky kind of guy. I'm one of those nuts that ends up
breaking things just cause I wanted to try it a different way, then
have fun figuring out what I broke, how not to break it again, and how
to fix it so it works better next time.

Sometimes I think the Ubuntu's are making the linux world more like
the Windows world. Don't know don't care, just as long as it works...
which is good in some ways and not so good in others.

My very first linux I tried back in 1998 or so was Mandrake linux, and
you got a gui installer sure, but that was about it, you got a GUI
with about 4 programs on it and that was it, you wanted something
installed ? Better download it and get comfortable with make && make
install...  THAT was fun.

Greg