Ubuntu & Linspire

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Feb 9 01:26:07 UTC 2007

Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> writes:
> Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>
>> Wow, lots of broad statements there.... I always thought the beauty
>> of Ubuntu was that all the command line stuff, the "hardcore", is
>> still there and one can use it if he/she wants to or if one is closer
>> to a "newbie" then he/she can use the graphical options to
>> change/update/configure their system.
>
> Well, yes and no.  Take a look at this:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild
>
> They explain (sort of) how to do it right after they say it will void
> any contract you have for support.  All "hardcore" users know that
> compiling your own kernel is the best way to tune your system to your
> own hardware.

All "hardcore" users are damned fools, apparently.  This is, not least,
because there is no statistically significant measurable difference
between a generic kernel and one that you "tune ... to your own
hardware."

> Why do I need floppy support, parallel port, serial port, bluetooth,
> pcmcia, etc. if my computer doesn't have, or use them?

Do you /really/ miss the 77MB of disk space they consume?

Do you actually know that is the one and only resource they consume?

> Why is there a 'restricted modules' in the first place?

Licensing reasons.  "Hardcore" users, of course, don't care for that law
and disregard it.  Companies lack that luxury.

> Sudo/Root?

Good security practice?  Is it that hard for a "hardcore" user to run
'sudo passwd root' -- I mean, seriously.

These are the "hardcore!"  They know how to use the command line, and it
isn't like Ubuntu prevents you setting a root password -- or even blinks
if you do.

> Wacom devices in xorg.conf?

I guess "hardcore" users don't own Wacom tablets, but they do own USB
mice, right?

I infer this because you whine about Wacom tablets being configured to
work "out of the box" but we don't hear complaints that xorg.conf
contains definitions for USB mice...

> There are many 'strange' ways of doing things in *buntu.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  Kubuntu is a fine distribution.  It's just not
> what I have decided is best for me.  I have learned a lot in the last
> year, and I have learned that with *ubuntu I don't have as much
> control as I would like.

>From your complaints, and from your definition of a "hardcore" user I
suspect you would find Gentoo the most satisfactory distribution.

It aims to provide all the twiddling you want, even if they also have
the drawback of wanting to provide a system that works when you plug it
in...

Regards,
	Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/