Ubuntu & Linspire

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Feb 9 14:06:30 UTC 2007

Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> writes:

>> They explain (sort of) how to do it right after they say it will void
>> any contract you have for support.  All "hardcore" users know that
>> compiling your own kernel is the best way to tune your system to your
>> own hardware.
>
> All "hardcore" users are damned fools, apparently.  This is, not least,
> because there is no statistically significant measurable difference
> between a generic kernel and one that you "tune ... to your own
> hardware."

I have my doubts about "statistically significant" and "measurable" (a
little redundant, anyway - you couldn't have a statistically significant
_unmeasurable_ value:-) ), but I have to agree that it's pretty pointless.
I used to have to compile my own kernel for a driver that wasn't in Debian.
I haven't needed to do that since before Warty was a piglet, and I've never
compiled a kernel for Ubuntu.

>> Why do I need floppy support, parallel port, serial port, bluetooth,
>> pcmcia, etc. if my computer doesn't have, or use them?
>
> Do you /really/ miss the 77MB of disk space they consume?

I tend to run pretty close to the edge on disk space, and even I don't miss
that.

>> Wacom devices in xorg.conf?
>
> I guess "hardcore" users don't own Wacom tablets, but they do own USB
> mice, right?

Pretty much.  That would also match most of the "softcore" users. The wacom
devices in xorg.conf isn't nearly as annoying for softcore users, though,
because they never run KDE apps from the command line.  If the errors were
just suppressed you wouldn't see this complaint.

> I infer this because you whine about Wacom tablets being configured to
> work "out of the box" but we don't hear complaints that xorg.conf
> contains definitions for USB mice...

Anybody who has a less than 3 year old desktop PC has a USB mouse, so they
_have_ to work out of the box.  Wacom may be selling a lot of tablets, I
don't know, but I've never yet seen one.

>> There are many 'strange' ways of doing things in *buntu.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong.  Kubuntu is a fine distribution.  It's just not
>> what I have decided is best for me.  I have learned a lot in the last
>> year, and I have learned that with *ubuntu I don't have as much
>> control as I would like.

I just don't understand that.  There is nothing I can't do in Ubuntu, and
very few things that have ever even stumped me for long.  The hardest thing
I ever had to figure out was how to make Quicken run in Wine :-)

--
derek