Ubuntu & Linspire

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Feb 9 01:26:07 GMT 2007

Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> writes:
> Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>
>> Wow, lots of broad statements there.... I always thought the beauty
>> of Ubuntu was that all the command line stuff, the "hardcore", is
>> still there and one can use it if he/she wants to or if one is closer
>> to a "newbie" then he/she can use the graphical options to
>> change/update/configure their system.
>
> Well, yes and no.  Take a look at this:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild
>
> They explain (sort of) how to do it right after they say it will void
> any contract you have for support.  All "hardcore" users know that
> compiling your own kernel is the best way to tune your system to your
> own hardware.

All "hardcore" users are damned fools, apparently.  This is, not least,
because there is no statistically significant measurable difference
between a generic kernel and one that you "tune ... to your own
hardware."

> Why do I need floppy support, parallel port, serial port, bluetooth,
> pcmcia, etc. if my computer doesn't have, or use them?

Do you /really/ miss the 77MB of disk space they consume?

Do you actually know that is the one and only resource they consume?

> Why is there a 'restricted modules' in the first place?

Licensing reasons.  "Hardcore" users, of course, don't care for that law
and disregard it.  Companies lack that luxury.

> Sudo/Root?

Good security practice?  Is it that hard for a "hardcore" user to run
'sudo passwd root' -- I mean, seriously.

These are the "hardcore!"  They know how to use the command line, and it
isn't like Ubuntu prevents you setting a root password -- or even blinks
if you do.

> Wacom devices in xorg.conf?

I guess "hardcore" users don't own Wacom tablets, but they do own USB
mice, right?

I infer this because you whine about Wacom tablets being configured to
work "out of the box" but we don't hear complaints that xorg.conf
contains definitions for USB mice...