DVD as repository

Andy Harrison aharrison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:35:38 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Joe Hart <j.hart at orange.nl> wrote:

> It's messages like that that are starting to turn me off of Kubuntu.
> The whole system (I'm sure it stems from Ubuntu) is being dummed down.
> The whole point of a debian based system is that all the configuration
> is stored in plain text files that you can edit.  If you couldn't edit
> them, then why would there be so many comments in them explaining how
> each feature worked.  Take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to see
> what I mean.
>
> By the way, that man page comes strait from Debian, which has a HUGE
> number of CDs on their main distribution, that's why it says what it does.

Now that's funny, "dummed" down.  Was that intential?  Good one, either way.  :)

So, in just a few sentences, you jeer ubuntu for somehow being less
debian-like and then you also point out that the very tool causing
this jeer is comes straight from debian?

How much time do you think a novice is going to spend on a
distribution that requires them to edit numerous text configuration
files to get what they want.  Front end tools are necessary since,
very often, changes to provide the desired result require the
modification of *several* text configuration files.

If you wish to stay within the spirit of debian, then don't switch
away from debian only to bitch about things that make it different
than debian (although in this particular instance, it actually *is*
like debian).

--
Andy Harrison