DVD as repository

Joe Hart j.hart at orange.nl
Tue Feb 6 09:46:09 UTC 2007

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Edmund Laugasson <ed.lau at mail.ee> writes:
>
>> Add this row to the beginning of /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> You shouldn't be adding this by hand.  Use the apt-cdrom utility.
>>From the man page:
>        apt-cdrom is used to add a new CDROM to APTs list of available
>        sources.  apt-cdrom takes care of determining the structure of
>        the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and
>        verifying the index files.
>
>        It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system, it
>        can‚Äźnot be done by hand. Furthermore each disk in a multi-cd set
>        must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible
>        mis-burns.

It's messages like that that are starting to turn me off of Kubuntu.
The whole system (I'm sure it stems from Ubuntu) is being dummed down.
The whole point of a debian based system is that all the configuration
is stored in plain text files that you can edit.  If you couldn't edit
them, then why would there be so many comments in them explaining how
each feature worked.  Take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to see
what I mean.

By the way, that man page comes strait from Debian, which has a HUGE
number of CDs on their main distribution, that's why it says what it does.