Please add tag to subject

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 8 01:17:16 UTC 2007

Stew Schneider wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> The "technical" reason not to do this is that it's catering to broken
>> clients.  Smart clients understand list headers.  Even most webmail
>> clients can.
>>
> Well, first of all, thank you for the response. Second of all, and
> forgive me for being over-blunt, it sounds as if you don't want this
> done just because you don't want it done. That's OK by me because, as
> you point out, I filter anyway.

That's _exactly_ why.  I could live with it, but it seems to me that Art's
asking for a change that's out of step with the norms of computing lists
(it's far less so with other lists)

> I don't know that it's a good reason to inconvenience others, though. If
> the tag were added, I would not have to do anything -- my filter would
> still work, and I could still read the subject (I'm not sure why long
> subject titles would inconvenience anyone, but..)

Do you thread your messages?  I just flipped my display to show full threads
instead of just the unread messages.  Every message subject is indented
from the one that precedes it.  Not a problem if the messages are
unchanged, but too many people change the subject lines - the shortest one
I can immediately see is "Re: KDE 4 B".  I don't believe that I can make
that longer without losing other information I consider important.  That
wasn't a very long subject in the first place, but it would be completely
without semantic content if it had been prefixed with "[kubuntu-user]".

> -- and the one who
> asked would have an easier time with it. I guess I don't understand why
> "not catering to broken clients" would prevail over "giving a guy a hand".

Because I don't see, yet, how there's an actual need.  I still believe
popfile can solve his problem.

Art said this sort of thing should be done on the server - but he's asking
me to do an equivalent amount of processing on _my_ client.
--
derek