Word Attachments

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 30 18:40:29 UTC 2007

Roman Wissner wrote:

> Mark Wallace wrote:
>> The site you refer to is almost five years old.
>>
>>   The premise is also no longer true.   Open Office opens .doc files and
>>   I haven't seen too many problems in formatting.   It probably didn't in
>>   2002.  It implies that Open Office isn't as versatile as it really is.
>>

> I didn't actually want to start a discussion about this, but these are
> the reasons for doing so:
> I think that Microsoft Office documents best viewed using MS Office;
> when I try to open them in OpenOffice I can read them but they will look
> slightly different to what they should look like.

I've got no bones about discussing it at all :-)

If you send me a Word document (or a Powerpoint) I _will_ be able to read
it.  I really doubt you're going to be happy with the results if it's
complex and I make some mods and send it back to you though.  otoh, most
Windows systems don't have the tools to make something platform independent
that I could modify and send back, so I tend to accept Word documents and
let the originator worry if I screw up their formatting.
--
derek