Importing mail and contact into thunderbird

Stratos Laspas stratos at laspas.gr
Wed Apr 25 21:44:12 UTC 2007

στις 04/25/07 17:55, O/H Axel Mohr έγραψε:
> Hi,
>
> try this:
> - create a profile with thunderbird, the content is not important
> - this will result in a foulder for your profile, with a name similar to
> /home/.../.thunderbird/gd1ip78k.default
> - quit thunderbird
> - delete the whole content of this profile folder
> - copy the whole content of your old thunderbird-profile-folder to the
> new one
> - start thunderbird and work happily with your old profile, including
> addressbook, Mail-Folders, extensions, E-Mail accounts, stored passwords
> and so on

Apart from the above solution, if there's a directory in your system
where your previous email is (i.e. from a previous installation), you
could also try:
- start thunderbird from the console with the "-profilemanager" option,
e.g. /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird -profilemanager
- create a new profile
- in the options, choose the folder where the old emails are already
(i.e. the folder of the old profile)

I use the above method to share win & linux installations of thunderbird
on the same disk (together with ntfs-3g read/write enabled)