anyone running Kubuntu & vmware, or kubuntu & codeweavers?

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Apr 4 15:26:43 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 10:48, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Friday 30 March 2007 21:22, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >> Just change over.  Everything will work just fine. :)
> >
> > OK, I tried to use aptitude today to do a routine update/upgrade.  Used
> > aptitude's command line, rather than ncurses interface.  This is what I
> > got:

> > Looks like it wants to remove a lot of stuff that it shouldn't.  What's
> > wrong?
>
> I didn't have quite Daniel's optimism, but I figured you had enough
> experience to say No if it wanted to do too much. :-)
>
> I'd run this (you could remove any packages from the list that you really
> think _are_ redundant):
>
> sudo aptitude unmarkauto \
> antlr db4.2-util dirmngr gjdoc jikes kandy lesstif1 \
>   libgnujaxp-java libgnujaxp-jni libmad0-dev libmdbtools \
>   libopensc1 libpcsclite1 libpolyp0 libtiff-tools \
>   libxml-writer-perl python-uno python2.3-zopeinterface \
>   subversion superkaramba
>
> Then use:
>
> sudo aptitude upgrade
>
> It should stop trying to remove the others.
> --
> derek

Gave it one more try today.

sudo aptitude unmarkauto antlr db4.2-util dirmngr gjdoc jikes kandy lesstif1
libgnujaxp-java libgnujaxp-jni libmad0-dev libmdbtools  libopensc1
libpcsclite1 libpolyp0 libtiff-tools libxml-writer-perl python-uno
python2.3-zopeinterface subversion superkaramba
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  antlr db4.2-util dirmngr gjdoc jikes kandy lesstif1
  libgnujaxp-java libgnujaxp-jni libmad0-dev libmdbtools
  libopensc1 libpcsclite1 libpolyp0 libtiff-tools
  libxml-writer-perl python-uno python2.3-zopeinterface
  subversion superkaramba
  libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libkadm55 libkrb5-dev libkrb53
  libxfont1 xserver-xorg-core
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 20 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 20.6MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

Was my syntax wrong?  If not, I give up.  The way I figure I could fix this is
to allow aptitude to remove the stuff and then explicitly reinstall it.  That
might work, but, in light of this, my faith in aptitude does not justify
switching.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @