Command line check gmail

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 2 19:32:40 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007, Donn wrote:
>> You could set up filters so most of your mail "skips the inbox" and
>> has a label applied.
>
>Ok. Yes, good idea.
>
>> Then you could set up POPmail and tell it to keep all messages on the
>> gmail server.
>
>... Ok
>
>> Then you could run "fetchmail" or something similar to just download
>> your Inbox once a week or so.
>
>Right - fetchmail - so I would go read the man page to figure-out how to
> setup pop on it. All kinda new to me, I'm a gui email client kinda
> zombie :) (I just checked and 'fetchmail' is not installed on his
> server. Is it a good one to use or is there another more standard app?)

Its as good as any IMO, and can be setup to use procmail, which in turn
takes care of the spamassassin details.  A goodly share of spam now goes
to /dev/null here thanks to that, and kmail stays a lot more responsive,
only lagging when its sorting the mail that procmail allows into the
inbox.

I funnel 3 accounts into the same incoming pipeline, my regular vz
account, my old work account at the tv station, and a google mail account
I use to bypass vz's totally assinine and incompetant, unbypassable spam
filters that have more FP's than a libraries porn filter.  The last one
they triggered on?  The linux-kernel mailing list!  After about an hours
very heated discussion with vz (but they know they have a captive
customer here in WV, USA, so they'll do as they damned well please), that
list now comes my way via gmail.

Detail-ish to setup, and SWMBO gave me a lot of help getting started with
it.  But now it Just Works(TM).  :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)