Kubuntu on Dell Inspiron 6400

Orjan Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 14:36:01 UTC 2006

Francisco Borges wrote:
> ยป On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 08:36AM +0200, Orjan Sinclair wrote:
>

>> I am installing Kubuntu on a laptop Dell Inspiron 6400 and basically
>> following these instructions for Ubuntu (am not going to worry about
>> Compiz etc just yet though);
>> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=257684&highlight=inspiron+6400
>>
>> As can be seen the installation refers to intalling i8kutils and gkrellm
>> to control fan (something I thought was hardware based I must admit).
>> Anyone knows of a KDE replacement for gkrellm? Anyone knows if this is
>> really needed?
>>

> AFAIK you don't need to install a program to control the fans.
>
> I originally created this page for the Inspiron6400, and some other
> people have made a mess of it... but anyway check out this:
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron6400
>
> (I'll try to clean this page a bit later tonight)
>
> Cheers,

Appreciate the input. One does however get a bit worried when these guys
claim this is very important and one talks of a burnt LCD screen. And
they are Xpensive... at least where I live.
So I installed the i8kutils and then tried to set up kfani8k from KDE
apps. Did not work at all though....

Sinclair