Kubuntu on Dell Inspiron 6400

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Mon Oct 9 15:19:35 UTC 2006

ยป On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 04:36PM +0200, Orjan Sinclair wrote:

> Francisco Borges wrote:
> > AFAIK you don't need to install a program to control the fans.
> >
> > I originally created this page for the Inspiron6400, and some other
> > people have made a mess of it... but anyway check out this:
> >
> > https://wiki.kubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/DellInspiron6400
> >
> > (I'll try to clean this page a bit later tonight)
> >
> Appreciate the input. One does however get a bit worried when these guys
> claim this is very important and one talks of a burnt LCD screen. And
> they are Xpensive... at least where I live.

But did you ever hear about specific problems with recent Dell notebooks
and Linux?

> So I installed the i8kutils and then tried to set up kfani8k from KDE
> apps. Did not work at all though....

Hum, I didn't know about this package. I'll check it out.

Other things worth mentioning:

- There is a bug in Ubuntu, with the kernel corrupting the BIOS of Dell
  laptops. This *may* cause your laptop to hang while checking the
  BIOS. This bug is mentioned on the top of the page I linked in the
  last email.

  It did happen to me, and removing the CMOS battery in the 6400 is a
  royal PITA. Seems that the bug is also present in Edgy.

- Hibernate and suspend *were* working on Egdy. Now they don't anymore.

- Most of the time my cores are down-scaled to 1GHz, (i.e. no CPU
  intensive work, apart from firefox getting mad). That said, sometimes
  the fan will kick in on its own; so my guess is that temperature
  control & fan triggering is working (one way or another).

But, if you discover something new about the fan control, please let me
know,

--
Francisco