Dapper and wpa_supplicant

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 03:32:40 UTC 2006

Hello everyone.  I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer or at
least point me in the right direction.

Dapper 6.06 Live Desktop (not yet installed -- running off CD)
Dell Latitude D600 laptop
  Intel Corp PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (built-in wireless)
D-Link DI-624 router with WPA2-Auto security, TKIP cipher and PSK passphrase

I've copied the
/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant/examples/wpa_psk_tkip.conf to a personal
wpa.conf file and modified it to include my SSID and PSK value.

When I run the command:
  wpa_supplicant -D ipw -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa.conf
I get several messages saying:
  ioctl[IPW_IOCTL_WPA_SUPPLICANT]: Operation not supported
a few of which also generate a message:
  Failed to set encryption.

I'd like to verify that this will work before I install but it doesn't
appear to work.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to:
1) should I be able to connect to a wireless network with WPA using
the ipw driver?
2) if so, what might be causing the problem I'm seeing?

TIA,
Brad.