Dapper and wpa_supplicant

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Fri Jun 9 05:51:36 UTC 2006

Brad De Vries wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer or at
> least point me in the right direction.
>
> Dapper 6.06 Live Desktop (not yet installed -- running off CD)
> Dell Latitude D600 laptop
>  Intel Corp PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (built-in wireless)
> D-Link DI-624 router with WPA2-Auto security, TKIP cipher and PSK
> passphrase
>
> I've copied the
> /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant/examples/wpa_psk_tkip.conf to a personal
> wpa.conf file and modified it to include my SSID and PSK value.
>
> When I run the command:
>  wpa_supplicant -D ipw -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa.conf
> I get several messages saying:
>  ioctl[IPW_IOCTL_WPA_SUPPLICANT]: Operation not supported
> a few of which also generate a message:
>  Failed to set encryption.
>
> I'd like to verify that this will work before I install but it doesn't
> appear to work.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to:
> 1) should I be able to connect to a wireless network with WPA using
> the ipw driver?
> 2) if so, what might be causing the problem I'm seeing?
>
> TIA,
> Brad.

You might try installing network-manager and network-manager-kde.  I do
not know how much RAM it will take up to try to install it while using
the live CD, but network-manager does great with my WPA2 network on an
IPW2200.  I didn't even need to do anything other than enter the passphrase.

BTW, I use gnome, and read this list because it interests me.  I do not
know how well network-manager-kde works, but I hope it does as well as
its gnome counterpart.  It is just a front-end, so I hope that the
differences are minor.

-Matt