GL Screensavers Disabled??

Dave Vincenty dave at thedavefactor.com
Tue Jun 6 18:45:11 UTC 2006

Regarding my complaints about disappearing screen savers... I am still
seriously hoping somebody on this mailing list has a solution.

I know when I upgraded to Dapper Drake, a lot of stuff was uninstalled
and a lot of stuff was installed.  I've tried looking at the
repositories... and I've tried doing "apt-get build-dep -f xscreensaver"
from the command line... I still don't know where my favorite screen
savers have gone.

As for screen savers I thought I didn't have, I've discovered "GLMatrix"
and "Flying Toasters" by Jamie Zawinski back in my list again... so
that's a good sign.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I've located
Jamie Zawinski's website.  (I think he invented Netscape or something.)
Here are some images from the xscreensaver package:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/screenshots/

If I were missing all of these, I'd know what was wrong.  The fact that
I'm only missing about half of them makes me feel confused and
uncomfortable.

I appreciate any kind of help or maybe a link to an explanation of how
screen savers work in Linux.

In other bizarre tales of Thunderbird's spell check, it wants to replace
"xscreensaver" with "smokescreens" for some reason ... and "GLMatrix"
with "dominatrix".  Hooray.

~~~ dave ~~~
Life is like an infinite field of doughnuts.