GL Screensavers Disabled??

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 6 13:34:50 UTC 2006

Dave Vincenty wrote:

> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>
>> Now that you mention it, where are the Matrix screen savers?

Well, I thought billions of old-time programmers would have been
offended :-)

> Oddly enough, I don't even know for sure what package the Matrix screen
> savers are in... but I know that a number of the screen savers I've
> known and loved from my previous *buntu installation are gone... and by
> "a number", I mean all of them... including that one that can be
> configured to make it look like you're floating through an infinite
> field of doughnuts... that was awesome.

I've always just used "random" so I don't know what I've lost, but it does
seem to be far fewer than it used to be.

> (Is it a bad sign that Thunderbird insisted "doughnuts" is misspelled,
> but accepts "donuts"?)

Very bad.  In a similar vein, while checking out screen savers I also
decided to check out the current set of splash screens.  I liked
the "kubuntu" one, except that it pompously says "Initialising".  That's
not correct English even in England.
--
derek