Setting up Printers

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue Jan 3 13:13:30 UTC 2006

bruce wrote:

>On Monday 02 January 2006 19:15, Art Alexion wrote:
>

>>bruce wrote:
>>

>>>I, too have been having a setup problem with an HP printer, the
>>>psc1315. I go through all the installation:
>>>

>>>Everything looks good so far.  Then
>>>http://localhost:631 brings up the cups page, and shows the psc1315
>>>as default printer and the instruction  "If you are asked for a
>>>username and password, enter your login username and password or
>>>the "root" username and password."
>>>
>>>The  password box has a default username of "cupsys."  if I change
>>>the name to my username of root and user the appropriate password
>>>it fails.
>>>

>>Here's my setup:
>>
>>DeskJet-820C
>>HP DeskJet 820C Foomatic/pnm2ppa (recommended)
>>URI: ipp://rodney(localhost):631/printers/DeskJet-820C
>>Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
>>Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
>>

>The PSC1300 series printers are usb, not parallel.

Do you think that relates to the problem?

>>If you don't want to use the kde tool to set it up fire up konqueror,
>>go to http://localhost:631 where you get a nice interface for
>>configuring CUPS printers.

Sorry about this comment, I should have read your message more thoroughly.

>This is where my problem is -- using http://localhost:631 , cups wants a
>username and password and I can't supply it.  One place it says
>"Authentication - KDE Daemon -- Authentication failed"  What is a KDE
>Daemon?

I tried it again and got the following in Firefox:

      Unauthorized

    Administrative commands are disabled in the web interface for
    security reasons. Please use the GNOME CUPS manager (System >
    Administration > Printing).

Konqueror wouldn't let me log in at all, which is strange, because the
above info on my setup came from loading this page yesterday.

>>Now that this has come up, I remember previous discussions/complaints
>>that the foomatic drivers were the only ones that worked and that
>>they weren't installed by default.  Download them if you have to.
>>

>I have a lot of foomatic stuff; most of it ends with .xml.  Could that
>be the drivers?  One is HP-PSC_1310.xml.

May be, but try configuring it using the KDE or gnome print managers.
Select foomatic as the printer driver.

Funny, once I tried using the browser based administration, cups --
which I had no previous problem with, it just worked -- has locked me
out.  Restarting it doesn't seem to help.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c