kwallet keeps asking for a password.

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Feb 21 03:29:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 09:59, javier wrote:
> El Lunes, 20 de Febrero de 2006 23:41, dave s escribió:
> > On Monday 20 Feb 2006 22:24, javier wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Is there any way of configuring kwallet to let apps access the wallet
> > > without entering a password? I'm using kwallet with kopete & kmail and
> > > it's quite annoying having to type a password for at the launch of any
> > > of these apps.
> > >
> > > I've filed a bug [1] because I think this didn't happened in kde 3.5.0,
> > > but maybe I'm wrong and it's the expected behaviour.
> > >
> > > [1] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/30103
> >
> > I think this is normal behaviour, the wallet will only stay open for a
> > set period of time. Drove me mad and I eventally turned this security
> > feature off.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Can someone running KDE 3.5.0 (not 3.5.1) see if this is the expected
> behaviour?

I'm not on 3.5 (currently 3.4.3) but this has been the standard behaviour of
kwallet since it's inception: the wallet only stays open for a finite period.
It will also close after certain events (such as the screen saver activating)
if it's configured to do so.

Like everything in KDE, all of these options can be disabled too.  You CAN
configure the wallet to stay open permanently.  Have a look in the settings
menu for Kwallet.

Unless they've done something seriously phunky in KDE 3.5.x I can't see the
behaviour changing dramatically.

Cheers,

James
--
"An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt."
-- a saying at RPI