Makedev, USB Cameras and Viewing Images

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Feb 21 00:28:44 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 02:52, Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:
[ Please cc me. I don't read k-users regularily ]

Hi Richard,

that's strange.  When I inserted my USB camera with breezy, it got
automaticly mounted and konqueror fired up.

Are you sure that your camera supports or is set to export it's
storage as a disk?

what camera do you have?

> I have a usb camera which I want to use with this computer (Breezy).  The
> changes to fstab that I have made seem to get me part way along.  Now when my
> machine complains about no device 'sda1' ... I figure here's where makedev'
> comes into play.  There's no sda1 in devices...

udev should create this device for you automaticly.

When you insert/turn on the camera, what is the output of:

tail -f /var/log/kern.log<return>

<now plugin you camera>

Achim