qtparted

Liz Young liz at kandew.com
Fri Feb 10 19:12:47 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 17:48, Art Alexion wrote:
> any pointers to a users' manual, tutorial or how-to.  I can't find
> documentation anywhere.  I want to shrink a partition and the resized
> command is grayed out.  I have unmounted the partition.  Still grayed
> out.

What type of partition?  If it's ext3, you need to first remove the
journal with tune2fs, and qtparted will be able to resize it.  I think
I web searched with keywords "qtparted +ext3" before, but here are my
notes from OSSWatchKnoppix:

<quote>
Ext3 is just Ext2 + a journal.
Assuming you have a *cleanly unmounted* ext3 partition (run fsck -f on
it to be sure); you can safely:
1) erase the journal (i.e. convert to ext2)
tune2fs -o ^has_journal <your partition>
2) resize it as an ext2 partition
3) recreate the journal
tunes2fs -j <your partition>
</quote>