Converting MP3 to WAV

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Sun Dec 31 00:14:09 UTC 2006

> I have a few MP3s that I would like to burn onto a CD. However, I am having
> issues converting the MP3 to WAV/getting K3B to burn the CD. Whenever I try
> to drag the MP3 in K3B it says its an unsupported format. Playing MP3s works
> fine though.

you may also use graphical front-end programs like soundkonverter (in
multiverse repository) for KDE or soundconverter (in universe
repository) for Gnome:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install soundkonverter

or

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install soundconverter

But at first be sure, that you have enabled universe/multiverse
repositories:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

All necessary additional codecs will be installed as dependencies if you
install soundkonverter or soundconverter. It seems like soundkonverter
will install more codecs than soundconverter. You may look:

sudo apt-cache show soundkonverter
sudo apt-cache show soundconverter

... and compare dependencies.

MP3 will need program called lame and WAV will need program called wavpack:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lame wavpack

But yes - K3b is able to create audio CD directly from *.mp3 files and
therefore you don't need to convert them. K3b will anyway convert them
into *.wav and then burn. For that you need to install MP3 decoder for K3b:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libk3b2-mp3

Perhaps you would like to use FLAC instead of WAV in future:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flac

K3b has also ability to burn audio CD-s from *.flac files.
FLAC is good replacement for WAV.

Best Regards,
Edmund