Strange error when lunching programs

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Dec 25 02:06:34 UTC 2006

"Behrang Saeedzadeh" <behrangsa at gmail.com> writes:

> When I run some programs (such as KOrganizer) from the shell, I
> receive this error:

Actually, when you run *any* X program you will get those.  Check
~/.xsession-errors for a lot more. ;)

> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
>
> Any ideas why does it show up and how can I fix it?

They show up because the X configuration file has entries to support
graphics tablets included by default.  This is good for people who have
such a tablet because it will "just work."

The errors are harmless and can simply be ignored.  This is probably the
best plan.  However, if you /really/ feel strongly about it edit
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove the additional input device definitions.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/