Printing pictures

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sun Dec 24 02:13:30 UTC 2006

--- Juha Sandberg <jh_sandberg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There's one more very good solution for printing
> pictures in Kubuntu, and it's Open Office. First I
> download pictures from camera via usb with Digikam.
> Then I edit them with Digikam or Gimp, if necessary,
> and saving them somewhere I want. Then in Open
> Office Word Processor I open the picture, and there,
> resizing is very easy by dragging with mouse. And
> there's many changes to setup printerdriver before
> printing. My printer is HP6540, and  I've been
> satisfied quality of pictures doing like this. Even
> this isn't very professional way, I prompt you to
> try it!

OK I STILL have to recommend picassa for this. for
these small prints we use Picassa. I don't know if the
stock hpilp/hjifs in ubuntu will print borderless
prints on 4by 6 paper.

Picassa CAN however print two 4by6 prints on a full
sheet with picassa on the stock hpilp as the printer
unprintable area is then not a factor.

We actually use this method to produce heavy card
stock  postcards on an older HP commercial printer
that needs larger margins than newer machines.

On gutenprint: that may or may not work well, but
Gimprint is obsolete.

As we use mainly  HP equipment we use HPILP compiled.
The Ubuntu implemetation is missing a lot of
functions.

FWIW we DO use pther programs to in particular Corel
Graphics suite via Crossover. GIMP is nice but it
cannot do everything yet. Particularly as professional
printing needs to use the Pantone

prints on 4by 6 paper. One of our printers does this
directly from the Camera's card

Picassa CAN however definitely print two 4by6 prints
on a full sheet with picassa on the stock hpilp as the
printer unprintable area is then not a factor.

We actually use this method to produce heavy card
stock  postcards on an older HP commercial printer
that needs larger margins than newer machines.

On gutenprint: that may or may not work well, but
Gimprint is obsolete.

As we use mainly  HP equipment we use HPILP. Compiling
Gutenprint is something I haven't looked at. I HAVE
the ubuntu gutenprint debs...I haven't seen much
improvement.from installing them,

Picassa is the simplest we've found for quality prints
up to 8 by 10. It DOES take a long to to get ready to
print High resolution prints.

For Larger we use Corel Photo Paint via Crossover. a
Professional suite is necessary . AFAIK there isn't a
OSS solution to color seperations/Pantone system. Of
course the result of ANY graphics program GIMP
commercial etc output to Postscript  ps eps etc can be
handled well by Linux.  You DON't really need the
postscript printer.

Lastly I'm just saying what works for a professional
artist.  IF the purists want us to use all OSS then
please make it useable. Not angry not bitching I just
need to use what works.

Someone brought up Open Office. We had problems with
that with large format prints only printing an 8.5 by
14 area of a 14 by 29 sheet.(this was crossplatform
bug)I do not know if that has been fixed. It worked on
small paper sizes.

Bryann