[dapper] can't access usb scanner as normal user???

claydoh claydoh at claydoh.com
Thu Dec 21 02:56:43 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 8:48 pm, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> It would appear that on Dec 18, clay weber did say:
> > I may have missed it, but can sudo *use* the scanner (as opposed to just
> > access)?
>
>  YES! If I'm using a sudo enabled account, and remember to type "sudo
> kooka" instead of just "kooka", I can scan any time I want...
> But I want family members I wouldn't give sudo to, to be able
> to use the scanner... sigh!
>
> > One thing to try and check (I don't know why I didn't think of it
> > before) is to see if the users are part of the group 'scanner" in System
> > Settings' User section, as it sounds more like a group permissions thing
> > rather than a file permission thing.
>
> Good thought! I'd forgotten there was such a group. But yes the user
> account I've been failing to access the scanner with is listed in both
> the scanner and saned groups.
>
> Errr at least according to /etc/group. I can't seam to get the gui
> module called "Users & Groups" to load... I detest using gui tools for
> system admin, I'd use either useradd or adduser to add a new user and
> would most likely use "sudo adduser USER GROUP" to add a user to a
> group. And since I've never tried to use the gui method on kubuntu, I
> don't know how long selecting the user section of the system settings in
> the gui would have resulted in this error message:
>
>  - - - - - - - - -< s n i p >- - - - - - - - - -
I don't think the System Settings module is causing any problems in regards to
your scanner.

A possibility is there is a problem with the udev rules that assign
permissions to plug and play devices, possibly caused during your upgrade.
Look in /etc/udev/rules.d for a file called 45-libsane.rules, and see if your
scanner is listed in there.

Mine shows these lines, around line 559:
# Memorex MEM 48U
SYSFS{idVendor}=="05d8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4005", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

But on my Dapper running in vmware, your scanner is not listed there at all,
not even under a different name. You can try
adding the lines above to that file and try unplugging the scanner and
plugging it back in. You also may need to restart udev:
sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

I sure hope this fixes it as I am at a loss after this

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net