built-in webcam

Hervé Fache Herve at lucidia.net
Tue Dec 19 13:23:16 GMT 2006

On 12/19/06, nutchanat sattayakawee <diiar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Herve. Finally, I can make my webcam work
> although it doesn't exactly come from your solution.

First I should point out that it is not me who wrote these
instructions... but I did check they made sense before pointing them
to you ;-)

> Now I have another question. I tried to follow the
> instruction that you gave me with pwc driver but it
> didn't work. In the instruction, the final step was
> "sudo depmod -a". I didn't do "sudo modprobe pwc".
> Without doing that, Is pwc installed in my laptop? The
> problem is I want to uninstall pwc from my laptop. So
> I did "sudo modprobe -r pwc", but when I checked the
> files /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/pwc, hey are still the
> same. How can I check if pwc is really uninstalled
> from my laptop? I just want to make my laptop clean.

The instructions lead you to overwrite the Edgy pwc module with a more
recent one. I think you can leave that alone (especially as you don't
seem to need it anyway!).

> BTW, for the solution that I get my webcam worked is
> to download gspca driver from
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/gspcav1-20061216.tar.gz
> and follow the instruction of installing at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Spca5xx but just
> changed spca5xx by gspca. It's so great, isn't it?

Indeed, thanks for that information!

Enjoy,
Hervé.