Compiling drivers

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 03:18:05 GMT 2006

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> New motherboard, comes with instructions to compile the sound and NIC drivers
> for Linux.
>
> First problem was it wanted make; so I installed make
>
> Then when running make,
> 	ron at ron:/home/opt/src$ sudo make install
> 	Makefile:16: *** Linux kernel source not found.  Stop.
>
> Looked for "kernel source" with synaptic, cannot find anything.
>
> HELP !
>
> TIA,
>
> Ron.
> --
>                      It is impossible to defend perfectly
>                  against the attack of those who want to die.
>
>                    -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Ok, if you're going to compile anything you'll need a few different
packages, fortunately you can get them all with a metapackage:
build-essential
If you're building modules (drivers), you need the kernel source, or at
least the headers. You can install either (or both) of:
(for Edgy)
linux-source-2.6.17
linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic

Usually all you'll need is the headers, so try that first, as the source
is around 40MB

Tez