bluetooth: pairing fails

Christian Fröbel cfroebel at web.de
Sat Dec 16 05:47:41 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I noticed that I cannot pair my cell phone with my computer running Edgy. I
think I worked under Dapper but I'm not 100% sure as I'm rarely using
bluetooth.

My computer is visible to my cell phone. When I initiate pairing from the cell
phone it asks me for a pass. I enter it and the pairing fails immediately.
KBluetoothD pops up an error message, stating an authentication error.

The other way around it doesn't work neither. For example: I try to
access/open OBEX file transfer with Konqueror. Then, on my cell I first
confirm that I want to exchange data with my computer and after that I'm
asked for a pass. I enter it and after a while the pairing fails.

I was wondering why I only had to enter the pass on my cell phones and not on
my computer. I'm not very familiar with the BlueZ stuff. But I found out
that /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf is the place for the configuration. I had a
look inside. In the options section I found this:

options {
	# Automatically initialize new devices
	autoinit yes;

	# Security Manager mode
	#   none - Security manager disabled
	#   auto - Use local PIN for incoming connections
	#   user - Always ask user for a PIN
	security user;

	# Pairing mode
	#   none  - Pairing disabled
	#   multi - Allow pairing with already paired devices
	#   once  - Pair once and deny successive attempts
	pairing multi;

	# Default PIN code for incoming connections
	passkey "1234";
}

Ok, I though, so there is a default pass. But using this pass on my cell
didn't work.

Then I tried to set "security auto" which I think uses the pass given
in /etc/bluetooth/pin (also 1234). No luck with that, too.

After that I tried "security user" with the following line:
pin_helper /usr/lib/kdebluetooth/kbluepin;
as I found on the net somewhere. And I commented-out the passkey-line. This
was supposed to bring up a dialog every time I need to enter a pass. But that
didn't work, too.

So, what's this all about?

Thanks and regards,
  Christian