Strange behaviour

Scott Mazur kubuntulists at littlefish.ca
Thu Dec 14 18:13:30 UTC 2006

I snipped the second part because quite frankly it doesn't apply.  Don't get
me wrong.  I applaud Ubuntu's efforts to make it more accessible.

But using accessibility as an excuse to slop in broken configurations is
nothing more than an excuse.  An install time check for the existence of a
tablet would have been the correct way to do this.

You can quote it all you want but the 'for human beings' mantra (and a cheap
shot at that, given you don't know who's behind this keyboard) means nothing
unless Ubunutu supports OTHER alternate input devices out of the box as well.
 Not just the waco tablets so much prefered by graphic artists.

KDE's tendency to spit loads of messages is a KDE issue, not an Ubuntu distro
issue, and it doesn't deserve bandwidth on this list.  Kubuntu's  waco error
messages how ever are entirely the responsibility (or lack) of the Kubuntu 'guys'.

And no, accessibility does not justify 'two more error messages when starting
some apps'.

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:30:17 -0200, Hervé Fache wrote
> Shame you snipped the second part of my reply, which justified
> accepting these (hopefully temporary) error messages to allow people
> with disabilities to use Kubuntu with tablets.
>
> Ubuntu is 'for human beings', and that's what I meant by
> ''everybody'. Not my cat or your dog, but my blind neighbour, your
> deaf parent and that guy who lost his fingers in an accident. These
> people are human beings, and if something can be done to give them
> access to computers, it will be in Ubuntu.
>
> And if that means two error messages when starting some apps from the
> console in 6.10, then so be it. For your information, KDE always had
> a tendency to spit loads of messages, and that was fixed in Edgy. So
> yes, these guys do care and act upon these things, one at a time,
>  with priorities.
>
> I hope to have given an incentive to stay with Kubuntu, and if I can
> be of help, please let me know.
>
> Hervé.
>
> On 12/14/06, Scott Mazur <kubuntulists at littlefish.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:24:30 -0200, Hervé Fache wrote
> > > Because we want Kubuntu to Just Work for everybody. These messages
> > > are invisible for most users anyway.
> >
> > No just a darn minute there.  I'm not sure Kubuntu really know just who
> > 'everybody' is.  Particulary the largest percentage of users who represent the
> > 'silent majority'.  And the not as large percentage who try it, find out it
> > doesn't 'Just Work' for them and move on to another distro without so much as
> > a whisper.
> >
> > If everything 'Just Works' users wouldn't be looking for these messages in the
> > first place.  Finding them just creates one more wild goose to go chasing
> > after when something doesn't work.  There simply is NO JUSTIFICATION FOR ANY
> > DISTRO TO KNOWINGLY ACCEPT ERROR MESSAGES.  That's a completely irresponsible
> > approach to develpment and in no way benefits the community.
> >
> > If this is all Kubuntu has to offer, then I've already wasted too much time
> > with it.
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > --
> > Registered Linux user #395249, http://counter.li.org
> > Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
> > (http://www.littlefish.ca)
> >

> > --

Scott