Batch Converting png To bmp

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 05:02:10 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Lucia Sanchez <lu at gusilu.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thanks, Lu. It was a little backwards (I need to convert from png to
> > bmp), so I ran:
> > $ for i in *png ; do convert $i ${i//.png/.bmp} ; done
> >
> > There was .bmp files created, however, they do not seem to be real bmp
> > files. The images are all broken and no program (KoulorPaint, for
> > instance) can open them.
> > Can I do anything else? Thanks.
>
> whooops :(  I suppose that means that convert can't handle bmp files
> properly, I guess.
>
> Doing a quick Google search gives nothing definite, but try adding the
> "+matte" option if your png images have an alpha mask and see if that works.
> --
> Lu.

Thank you Lu for your advise. The +matte option did not help,
unfortunatly. In addition to the PNG files, I do have the same images
stored as .ICO windows icons. I tried the commands that you suggested
(replacing .png with .ico) but the script once again produced broken
images. Might there be a problem with imagemagik? How would I diagnose
it? Is there another way to convert the PNG's or ICO's?

Thank you so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

As for the user who asked about an InfranView replacement, I suggest
KPhotoAlbum. It just hit version 2.2 and next week the Kubuntu binary
should be available. It's a huge bugfix over 2.1 and addes some new
features. 2.1 was an amazing program and I can't wait to get my hands
on 2.2. Note that earlier versions were called KimDaBa, so while
googling, keep that in mind.

Dotan Cohen