Kontact crashes, burns, & implodes

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Apr 18 22:27:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:41 am, Wafa Hakim wrote:
> Not sure if this is a major bug & I should report it as such, so I
> thought I'd see if anyone else had the same issue.
>
> I'm running KDE 3.5.1 on Breezy on a notebook (Toshiba Satellite A45) &
> a desktop (Dell Dimension), & I had the identical problem on both
> machines, so read on:
>
> On Saturday, I upgraded my Koffice, with the new libraries & the new
> version of Krita. Suddenly after that, all the emails in the IMAP
> account I was using Kmail/Kontact to check began to replicate themselves
> 10, 20, 30 times. I'd delete them & another 20, 30 instances would show
> up.

I've also had stability problems since the recent update, although I'm running
KDE 3.4.3 on Breezy.  I have two machines:
1. A HP nc6230 laptop which has a mix of POP3 and IMAP4 accounts.
2. An AMD64 desktop with only POP3.

The laptop has started crashing Kontact (but without the message replication
you describe) and without generating a backtrace.  The crashes alway coincide
with some bogus network error - usually server timeouts or connection reset
by peer.  I know these are bogus because I ran a traffic sniffer (ethereal)
to see exactly what was going on.

Sorry I can't offer anything other than my sympathies.  Let's cross our
fingers for Dapper.  At least for me, Kontact is still (mostly) useable.

Cheers,

James
--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it
once.