Kubuntu annoyances (check list)

federico silva ouch.doh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 23:02:06 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 18:52, Freddie Cash wrote:
Freddie Cash escribió:
> Highlighting something with a mouse in a GUI environment should do
> nothing more than highlight the selection.  What you do with it after
> it is highlighted should be separate from the act of highlighting.
> For instance, what if I just wanted to run a spell check on that
> portion?  Or wanted to move it?  Or wanted to use it in a Find or
> Replace dialog? There's nothing worse than doing "highlight+cut,
> scroll down, highlight+paste" only to find that you pasted the last
> selection you highlighted.

__If__ highlighted text goes into the normal Ctrl+c clipboard,
I accept it is an error, but higlight->middle-click  is __very__
practical to me. It has its use; both have, and both are not
mutually exclusive.

Let's see:
a) higlight, Ctrl+tab to another app, middle-click, done.
b) secondary-button-click, wait for the context menu, select copy,
	Ctrl+tab to another app, secondary-button-click,
	wait for the context menu, select paste, done.

Which is easier? Even if you use the keyboard and omit the
menu steps.

Sometimes I use only the keyboard, some others, only the mouse.
That highlight selection is there helps me when reading, for example,
with a cup of coffee in one hand ( or petting the cat prrprrprr ) and
the mouse in the other ( so the mouse is not jealous ;-) ).

I am also used to ctrl+c copying code and while holding it there,
highlight-copy smaller snippets around without blasting the other
clipboard.

> Fortunately, those who use KDE do not have to worry about this, as you
> can configure Klipper to grab whatever you highlight and/or CTRL+c and
> put it into the same clipboard area, and keep a copy of it around in
> case you screw things up.

Disabled here; with the previously mentioned methods I am satisfied.

--
Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...