Adventure #2 with a G4

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Thu Sep 15 05:57:14 UTC 2005

Hi, Ian Baber: I am trying to build WINE under Kubuntu 5.10
PPC not to run MSWindows
programs, but more to see whether it is possible to do a "
./configure, make depend, make "
in this type of install.

So I booted up my G4 into Kubuntu 5.10 preview this
morning.

Grumble #1: when I set the Keyboard to 'Macintosh' this
does not activate the Volume
Control keys (which did happen when I set the keyboard with
an Ubuntu 5.10 install on
my Mac-Mini.

Grumble #2: My Linux Standalone generated by Runtime
Revolution 2 did not work
(it does under LINSPIRE 5).

As my G4 is not connected to the Internet (and because the
Kubuntu 5.10 install refuses to
allow me admin privileges!!!) I popped a CD containing a
tarball of WINE into the CD drive.

Grumble #3: Because the open/close CD drive button on my
keyboard is inactive under Kub 5.10
(and the Mirror Door G4 has no CD-open button) I have to
open my CD drives by right-clicking on
the Unmounted CD drive icons (which - think about this from
a greenhorn's point of view -
I had to go and set as visible in the settings) and close
them by PUSHING them in - not good,
as CD drives are a bit "shoogly".

WINE Tarball unpacked without trouble.

Will try a DRAG-N-DROP CD of the WINE folder to the
TERMINAL APP (KONSOLE), followed
by:

./configure
make depend
make

Grumble #4 "no acceptable C compilier in #path" - no WINE
(or certainly not this way.

I'm chucking out KUBUNTU 5.10 PPC and my next installment
will be all about
my 'TRY' with EDUBUNTU 5.10 PPC!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

See Mathewson's software at: