OT: Interesting Article about 64bit computing

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon Sep 12 23:48:18 UTC 2005

This is a bit of an advocacy post so I'll try not to offend too many.  Linux
has some definite benefits over the closed source 64bit world.  Read on :)

There's an interesting article over at ExtremeTech about 64bit computing on
Windows platforms.  Seems our WinXP-64 encumbered brethren are facing the
same issues as Linux users, but on a MUCH bigger scale.  Here's a quote from
the article about a Dell warning message on pre-installed WinXP-64 boxes they
ship:

"Peripherals you currently own or plan to purchase in the near future
(cameras, printers, MP3 players, handheld devices) will most likely NOT work
on a system purchased with Windows XP Professional x64, and some software
applications may not work on the x64 operating system."

The benefit of Linux is that most drivers are fully "open source" meaning we
can recompile for 64bit kernels with minimal fuss or recoding effort.  Heck
everything I own (MP3 players, digital cameras, video cameras, and all teh
internal stuff like sound cards, video cards etc) all work under Linux.  Same
cannot be said for WinXP-64...most do NOT work.  My dual-boot box is
Kubuntu+WinXP, I sent my copy of WinXP-64 back it was totally useless to me.

Viva open source :)

Cheers,

JamesJames
--