File dialogs

Merv Curley mcurley at eol.ca
Wed Oct 26 02:38:22 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 09:24, Art Alexion wrote:
> One thing I really miss in the current KDE and Gnome file dialogs
> is the lack of a text entry box where you can just type the path
> instead of having to navigate up and down the one branch to another
> of the directory tree.
>
> Is there a way to restore this?

Restore it to what application?

If you are using  mc for a file manager,  you can enter the path for
the active window on the command line.

If you want to change the location to open a file in Kate just enter
the path in the top location box.  You have to enter the file name
in the Location box.  The top box is also a file chooser,
enter /usr/ for example and you can choose directories that appear.
Enter a  ~  and you will be changed to your home directory.  I find
it almost as fast as typing.

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley