Initial partitioning of hard disk for Breezy

Merv Curley mcurley at eol.ca
Sat Oct 15 04:30:29 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:26, Tim Penhey wrote:

> If I did this, does it in any way effect my Hoary install on hda6?
> I am assuming that the formatting of the hda5 swap partition won't
> effect Hoary.

As Far As I Know -
Anything that you change at the start of the disk will affect
everything after it.  So you will lose your present install. I tried
to get that message across before.  So save your valuable data and go
ahead and repartition the drive.

I would say don't bother with a separate /home.  Start with 3 primary
partitions of perhaps 5-6 gigs.  Then your extended which is is the
last primary you can have.  Now the logicals; a small swap [ hda6 ]
of perhaps 200 megs.  Then you can adlib additional partitions.
Maybe one for backups,  one for downloads, one for music or your
whatever your interests.  As you get more confident with Linux you
will want to look at other distros and you have lots of room for more
partitions.  Install Hoary on hda1,  Breezy  on hda2,  and so on.
The installer usually does a half decent job of finding other
installations and making entries in Grub.

You can copy your home data to new installs with no problems as long
as you have the same U.I.D.   I long ago decided to stick with 501 as
my U.I.D. and since the default user created isn't 501,  that can't
be me personally, it is the admin user.  The admin uses Kuser to
create my account with the I.D. I want and  set the groups that I
want to be in.  I also set my default group as users  [ I.D. 100 ].

> Also will this then give me both Hoary and Breezy in GRUB?  Or do I
> have to mark hda6 as still bootable in order for it to appear in
> GRUB?

You don't have to mark anything as installable.  If you follow my
suggestions,  the first install will only know about itself.  When
you do your next install,  it will put itself as first Grub entry and
should find and make an entry for Hoary. The process continues with
each new install.

Good luck

--
Merv Curley