Initial partitioning of hard disk for Breezy

Tim Penhey tim at penhey.net
Sun Oct 9 15:26:26 UTC 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 03:31, Merv Curley wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 13:21, Tim Penhey wrote:
> > Hi have Kubuntu running on Hoary right now, but when I did my
> > initial formatting I have just the root dir.
> >
> > /etc/fstab looks like this:
> >
> > tim at spike:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > <pass> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0
> >    0 /dev/hda6       /               reiserfs notail          0
> >   1 /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0
> > 0 /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0
> >   0 /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0
> >     0 /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0
> >   0
> >
> > I do still have a 40 gig partition that holds Windows XP that I
> > haven't booted into for six months so maybe it is time for that to
> > go.
>
> I don't know the current state of the Linux replacement for
> PartitionMagic but we didn't use to be able to change any partition
> sizes ahead of those in use.   So you would have to use all the hda1
> - 40 megs for Breezy, quite a waste.  If you can save your Home
> directory to removeable media  [ Zip, USB drive etc ]  and your main
> config files in /etc,  then just repartition the drive into 3 primary
> and an extended and whatever logicals that there are room for.

hda is currently
 hda1 40G ntfs partition
 hda5 1.1G swap
 hda6 33G reiserfs as /

I booted into the Breezy install and played with the partitioner and was
considering

 hda1 20G ext3 as /
 hda7 20G ext3 as /home

It had marked  hda5 (swap) as to reformat it and
 hda6 mounted as /media/hda6

If I did this, does it in any way effect my Hoary install on hda6?  I am
assuming that the formatting of the hda5 swap partition won't effect Hoary.

Also will this then give me both Hoary and Breezy in GRUB?  Or do I have to
mark hda6 as still bootable in order for it to appear in GRUB?

Thanks
Tim