new linux-image: why?

Donatas G. ziogelis77 at takas.lt
Mon Jun 13 07:11:43 UTC 2005

2005 m. Birželio 13 d., Pirmadienis 04:05, Alexander Antoniades rašė:
> I'm unclear on this, isn't k7 the 32 bit Athlon family of chips (like
> his 1800+) and K8 is the AMD 64 family of chips?
> I was looking for some information on this, but it indeed show that
> only the very first Athlon is called k7, but the first 64 bit chip is
> called K8, implying the the previous chips are all one generation.
> Without getting into some whole source v binary debate, is getting the
> 686 (which presumably is optimized for a Pentium 2) any better than
> the plain 386 binary?
>
> Thanks for you help,
>
> Sander

Well, good question...

I updated to 686 binary yesterday... Everything works fine (had to reinstall
the fglrx binary and also install linux-restricted... package for it to
work), and I would love to think - also faster :)  Though it is just a feel.

I don't know about the processors, though. KDE in Kcontrol tells me I have a
686 processor, though I don't know if I should believe that.

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dgvirtual.kikilis.evs.lt