new linux-image: why?

Alexander Antoniades sanderant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:05:30 UTC 2005

I'm unclear on this, isn't k7 the 32 bit Athlon family of chips (like
his 1800+) and K8 is the AMD 64 family of chips?
I was looking for some information on this, but it indeed show that
only the very first Athlon is called k7, but the first 64 bit chip is
called K8, implying the the previous chips are all one generation.
Without getting into some whole source v binary debate, is getting the
686 (which presumably is optimized for a Pentium 2) any better than
the plain 386 binary?

Thanks for you help,

Sander