KDE & GDE won't cooperate

Dave dsterken at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:03:15 UTC 2005

I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit green when it comes to Linux in
general, but I'm learning. I have tried a handful of different distros and
several window managers including Gnome, KDE & Xfce. I continue to come back
to KDE though, as my preferred desktop but I have fallen in love with some
of the programs available in Gnome I frankly, can't live without them.

Several other posts have described the solution as installing Ubuntu and
then apt-get install kubuntu-desktop. However, when I have Ubuntu installed
it tells me it can't find that package. When I try it other way around
(installing Kubuntu first), I get the same message. I have also tried to
install through the Synaptic Package Manager and Adept but neither did the
trick.

Something else I noticed that seemed odd is that Adept (in Kubuntu) gives me
a very small selection of programs even after updating and reloading. It
doesn't even show basic programs such as Xmms. Just for kicks I decided to
run the live Kubuntu CD and found it to have all the packages I long for. I
thought at first that perhaps I just had a bad install so I double checked
the MD5 sum and reinstalled but that didn't seem to help. Out of desperation
I also downloaded the Kubuntu DVD but have not had the chance to install it
yet.

I apologise for the lengthy post but any ideas or suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

--
Dave Sterken