Big Problem with Apt-Get

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 28 16:45:21 UTC 2005

On Thursday 28 April 2005 13:28, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> Dave - dedi ki:
>   --8<--
>
> > apt-get update - works fine
> >
> > apt-get upgrade - downloads the files but then I get this no matter what
> > I do. Can't even install a new app without the same error.
> >
> > "E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs4-dev_4-
> > 0x1.6378200000045p-1363.4.0-0ubuntu3.1_i386.deb: files list file for
> > package `klettres-data' is missing final newline"
>
> Did you mix external repositories such as marillat or Breezy? If no, then

Are you suggesting breezy is an external repository?  It isn't...

> there should really nothing much to upgrade as Kubuntu 5.04 archives are
> in stable condition. If yes, then sorry, but you're getting what you ask
> for. As a general rule of thumb I wouldn't "upgrade" after mixing in
> external repositories. I would have done whatever I'd like to do with
> official repositories first, and after getting the system to its peak
> state within official repos, only after then, I would add external repos
> and then do no more global operations like "upgrade", unless doing some
> fine pinning first.

Personally, I'm not interested in using a static system.  I want the latest
stuff (and debian sid wasn't it...).  So as soon as Hoary got stable I moved
to Breezy.

In any case, he's _not_ getting what he asked for.  He asked for kdelibs-dev
and got a broken package.  "Missing final newline" doesn't suggest that
there's an odd, and unworkable, mix of repositories.  It says the package
wasn't built right.

As a general rule of thumb, if he's just moved from Hoary to Breezy, he
shouldn't be doing an upgrade - I'd agree with that.  That first upgrade
definitely needs to be a "dist-upgrade".
--
derek