Hoary upadtes

Carl waldbie at verizon.net
Sat Apr 23 18:49:34 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 1:35 pm, Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
> Hi!
> Before Hoary was released, an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade
> resulted in large changes, even from day to day. After release, I have
> noticed that these don't happen anymore. There are a number of
> packages that have bugs which have been solved in them, but whose
> newer versions are not available (kaffeine, and it's 100% CPU usage
> bug, for example, is fixed in ubuntu3 according to bugzilla, but only
> ubuntu2 is available).
>
> Am I doing something stupid? My apt sources file looks like this:
Jose,

Once a release is finalized, no more routine development and bug fixes are
made.  The code is "frozen" to give users and developers a stable reference
point.  An exception is made in the case of security patches and other
critical bugs.

It is possible that there is a "backports" repository for Hoary like there was
for Warty.  In that case, bug fixes that are being put into the next realease
(Breezy Badger) will be ported back to Hoary.  This is a little less stable,
but useful if there is a particular application you really want features for,
but you don't want to be running the development release.

Carl Waldbieser