re sudo

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 21 13:44:41 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 20:29, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 05:36, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >  You don't _need_ a root.  Why do you want it?
>
> Speaking just for myself, it's because I get sick of typing sudo apt-get
> blah, sudo ifdown, sudo ifup, sudo
> anything-else-that-I-usually-do-as-root, to the point where I've never
> made it more than a few days on a (K)ubuntu install without giving up
> and setting a root password :)

Anything that I _usually_ do as root, and can't cause any real trouble (pretty
much all of those you listed, since it's really a single user system), I
create an alias.  I haven't copied them over from my old install yet, but I
think apt-get isn't aliased, but "apt-get update" and "apt-get
--download-only dist-upgrade" are.
--
derek