CPU throttling problems

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:03:43 UTC 2005

El Miércoles 13 Abril 2005 03:35, Sebastian Kügler escribió:
> I noticed that my notebook cpu throttles when it gets really hot, even
> without cpu scaling stuff in the kernel. May that be the case?

Uhm, might be the case :-). It happens tht I never used eclipse in suse, and
maybe because of that the PC never got really hot. My brother has just tried
using it in SuSE and you know what ? CPU throttling turned to 75% also when
fan started to spin! And as in Ubuntu, echo 0
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling didn't work neither when fan was
spinning.

> Disabling throttling in the kernel wouldn't make a difference in my
> case, but I certainly _want_ my cpu to go slower before it fries itself
> to death.

Yeah, that seems reasonable to me, also. But it seems that it's not exactly
the case: it seems that my CPU go slower
when /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature goes to ~65 ºC or so, which
doesn't seems very high (for example it's now working at 52ºC) to me. As a
matter of fact, see:
 cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/trip_points
critical (S5):           100 C

Ah, but the funny part is that when fan start spinning, temperature starts to
decrease and decrease: normally up to 41ºC. But even when running at 41ºC,
the fan continue spinning and throttling doesn't want to move from T7/75%. ¿?

> Not sure if it has something to do with it ... but hey, even small
> lights might help.

You helped a lot ! it just happens that something that might be obvious for
you it could be not so obvious to me, and thus dialog is the key to solve any
problem :-).

Have a nice day,
             Edulix.