all my experiences and problems with kubuntu so far

Peter Shillan peter.shillan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:52:32 UTC 2005

Hi again,

On Apr 12, 2005 2:09 PM, Frederik Dannemare <frederik at dannemare.net> wrote:
> I was so badly hoping for 3.4.0 to be as stable as 3.3.2 has been for
> me, but this is far from the case. But it's not really unusual
> for .0-releases of KDE to be less stable overall than the release prior
> to that, and there's not really much we can do about that. The release
> schedule for Hoary was already set, and I'm just really, really glad
> that the Kubuntu devs were capable of joining Ubuntu already with Hoary
> (they've been busy for sure).

I think this is one of the crucial points.  KDE 'point zero' releases
are often not quite there.  I believe that it was still the right
decision to bring in 3.4.  The first time I did the fabled:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

KDE startup was a drag, hanging on 'Initializing Peripherals' for what
seemed like an age.  That's gone.  Startup is zippy now.  Speed in
general has improved no end and things really seem - on my machine
anyway - to be buzzing along nicely.

I can't really comment on keeping Kubuntu in step with the main distro
as I think it's down to whatever the Kubuntu guys feel works best for
them.  After all, they are using the same infrastructure and so as the
main distro gets more stable (closer to release), they will find it
easier to do their own testing too.  I suspect freezing/forking would
bring its own problems.

It should also be noted that, as far as I am aware, KDE has a lot of
code designed to provide x.org-like facilities on top of an XFree86
base.  Now that Kubuntu is running on top of x.org, as more and more
distros are, it is to be hoped that KDE can shed some of this and in
so doing, increase the reliability.

Who knows?  I hope so, but I don't really know either Kubuntu or KDE developers.

Peter.