all my experiences and problems with kubuntu so far

Frederik Dannemare frederik at dannemare.net
Tue Apr 12 13:09:15 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 14:34, Peter Shillan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Apr 12, 2005 1:10 PM, Gunny Wallen <gunnyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 've read this thread and I have to agree.
> > Kubuntu feels like it was "tacked on" to Hoary.
> > Gnome on the other hand is polished in just about every way.
> > At this point the only KDE app I am using is amaroK.
>
> I think that is rather harsh and, if I may say so, rather undervalues
> the work of the Kubuntu team.

I don't think Gunny's intentions was to undervalue the work of the
Kubuntu team who have done an amazing job. I think we can all agree on
that. But at the same time I think we are many who simply wish that
there had been enough time in the hoary release plan to allow in a
3.4.1 of KDE - at least that's all *I'm* saying.

I was so badly hoping for 3.4.0 to be as stable as 3.3.2 has been for
me, but this is far from the case. But it's not really unusual
for .0-releases of KDE to be less stable overall than the release prior
to that, and there's not really much we can do about that. The release
schedule for Hoary was already set, and I'm just really, really glad
that the Kubuntu devs were capable of joining Ubuntu already with Hoary
(they've been busy for sure).

> I feel they are doing a sterling job.
> It is perhaps natural, since they do not have the same resources
> available, that the KDE strand might take a little longer to get
> right.  The new KDE version (3.4) is a far greater upgrade than Gnome
> 2.6->2.8 and has lots of new features that need to be tested.  That's
> what we are doing here.

Exactly! Now let's help make Breezy the best it can possible be.
<http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HelpingKubuntu>

Best regards,
--
Frederik Dannemare | http://sentinel.dk | http://linuxworlddomination.dk