Kicker weirdness

Frederik Dannemare frederik at dannemare.net
Mon Apr 11 16:48:46 UTC 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 19:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Sunday 10 April 2005 22:50, Frederik Dannemare wrote:
> > On Monday 11 April 2005 01:56, Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
> > > I updated my laptop to 5.04RELEASE, and have experienced some
> > > interesting behaviour, not dissimilar to something that was
> > > previously reported to the list. Essentially, I have 3 desktops,
> > > and only one of them has a kicker bar. The others have nothing. I
> > > can choose which desktop is blessed with kicker by relaunching
> > > it. In .xsession-errors I get a complaint that Kicker is already
> > > running, but somehow, the kicker bar appears in the desktop where
> > > it was called from using Alt+F2.
>
> If you're referring to my post, it's not only "not dissimilar", it's
> identical :-).  I accidentally ended up in Desktop #2 on the weekend,
> and voila!  a kicker panel.
>
> > May not be what you're looking for since you'll have to redo your
> > personal KDE customization etc, but I've had to do this more than
> > one occasion after a dist-upgrade of Kubuntu to correct several
> > issues:
> >
> > 1) log out of KDE - grab a console
> > 2) move your current .kde out of the way (maybe also .kderc and
> > .qt)
>
> Very, very, ugly...

Absolutely - I never says it was going to be pretty :)

> I've got 4 (or is it 5?) years of KDE
> customization in there.  Not an option...
>
> > 3) sudo apt-get --yes --download-only --reinstall install
> > kubuntu-default-settings 4) sudo dpkg --force-confmiss --install
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/kubuntu-default-settings_<VERSION>_all.deb
> >
> > Depending on your situation, maybe only 3) + 4) will be needed,
> > but if you want a clean start, do 'em all.
>
> 3 & 4 alone didn't do the job.

Bummer

> > Thanks to Chris Halls for pointing out the
> > potential issue of a missing /etc/kderc.
>
> There can't have been a missing /etc/kderc on _my_ system (it's dated
> over a week before the update that broke kicker), but do you mean on
> my system or in the package?

There have been cases (myself included) where /etc/kderc was missing
after a dist-upgrade. I've seen this happen five times now on three
different machines, so I though to myself that maybe you had been
bitten by the same thing.

> Do you have an idea what needs to be changed in my own files to get
> this kicker working, again?

No, not really - which was why I suggested 2)  :)

Well, for starters I guess you could try
moving .kde/share/config/kickerrc out of the way (I have no idea if
this alone it'll help). Maybe search for other files that references,
or something: E.g. grep -risl kicker .kde/

B/R,
--
Frederik Dannemare | http://sentinel.dk | http://linuxworlddomination.dk
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare