Add Muon-Discover to the favorites menu

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 06:02:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Robert Charbonneau <rpc at bewitching.me> wrote:
> On October 15, 2015 02:38:03 PM James Cain wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Mustafa Muhammad <mustafa1024m at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> > For new users, it is not that obvious how to install packages, I suggest
>> > adding Muon Discover to the favorites menu for the default installation.
>
>> > Regards
>
>> +1 for this. Otherwise it's potentially off to the forums whereby a new
>
>> user can get overwhelmed with instantly-forced command line
>> indoctrination.
>
> Yes, this thread is a little old, and after reading through the suggestions
> I would concur that for a new user account it should appear in the favorites
> tab; though, I don't think it should appear for an existing user (so not a
> system-wide update for existing accounts.) I only very occasionally use Muon
> Discover as most documentation (Stack Overflow, Ubuntu Forums, any elective
> PPA) will direct a user to make use of a console and manually adding a PPA
> and manual package installation steps. De-emphasizing that users should
> learn how to use apt, dpkg and related command line utilities is not
> something I would personally like to see happen. I view Muon as a stepping
> stone, but it should never be a crutch. Open source and open architecture
> implies continued education in my opinion. It may seem like a small thing
> being suggested but macroscopically it has wider-reaching implications.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
> --
>
> :RPC

My thoughts: we should always first consider the new user, who may be
entirely new to computers, or is coming from another distro or even
from Win/Mac. For this user, Muon Discover is great.

Next, we have to consider our users who may not realize they are using
Linux, much less Kubuntu. The folks in Munich or Brazil who turn on
their computers, expect them to work. They have no idea where to do
for support, other than what we show them in our software. For these
people, Muon Discover should Just Work.

Finally, we love our geeky users, who will learn to use the cli, hop
on IRC, ask on Stackoverflow, or check out the forums. The few even
find the mail lists! These folks will keep using Synaptic, or Muon
package manager, or apt. They will also figure out how to remove Muon
Discover from their favorites.

Even I can do that! And I love learning to use the cli better, too.

But most people use their computers as tools. There is no reason that
free and open systems should mean one should *have to* learn how to
use the commandline. We make our GUI stuff so that it Just Works.

Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez